HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is reminding customers to register for Self Assessment.
Anyone submitting a Self Assessment (SA) tax return for the first time needs to register for SA by 5 October so that they can complete their return and pay any tax owed by 31 January 2021.
If customers aren’t sure if they need to complete a Self Assessment tax return they are advised to visit www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return
Those who are new to the process can visit HMRC for online webchats, live webinars, YouTube videos and social media support which can be accessed at any time, and on any device, to help them fill in and file their returns.
People who need to complete a tax return:
- earned more than £2,500 from renting out property
- received, or their partner received, Child Benefit and either of them had an annual income of more than £50,000
- received more than £2,500 in other untaxed income, for example from tips or commission
- are self-employed sole traders
- are employees claiming expenses in excess of £2,500
- have an annual income over £100,000
- earned income from abroad that they need to pay tax on
Help is available from the GOV.UK website at www.gov.uk/selfassessment or from the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310