This Gas Safety Week (17-23 September), Gas Safe Register has found that people are much more likely to own a smoke alarm (76%) than an audible carbon monoxide alarm (47%) despite the fact that carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer as you cannot see, taste or smell it.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur if a gas appliance is unsafe yet when more than 2,000 UK adults were polled, only one in five (19%) knew that you can’t tell if a gas appliance is leaking carbon monoxide compared to one in three (30%) who didn’t know, or thought you could see, taste or smell carbon monoxide.
To mark the eighth annual Gas Safety Week, Gas Safe Register has created a video to demonstrate how carbon monoxide can be missed from the home safety checks.
Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive of Gas Safe Register, said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. Our research shows that lots of people aren’t aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or how to know if their gas appliance isn’t working safely. This Gas Safety Week we’re helping people find out more about how to keep their homes gas safe and reminding everyone to not cut corners when it comes to getting their gas appliances checked on an annual basis.”
Gas Safe Register recommends that people get their gas appliances checked on an annual basis to ensure gas appliances are working safely and efficiently. However one in four (24%) of the 2,000 UK adults polled don’t follow this guidance and could be using illegal gas fitters.
Gas Safe Register recommends six simple steps for your customers to keep their families safe and warm:
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Double check both sides of an engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to know that they’re registered and qualified to work on gas appliances.
- Have all gas appliances serviced and safety checked every year.
- Be aware of the six signs of CO poisoning; headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Check appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly, e.g. black marks or stains on or around the appliance, lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones and condensation around the room.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm for a second line of defence against carbon monoxide poisoning.