The Association of Plumbing & Heating Contractors (APHC) has announced it will be working with SNIPEF to assist them in engaging with plumbing and heating employers in England & Wales.
The aim is to ensure that the National Occupational Standards for Plumbing & Heating are fit-for-purpose and reflect the competence requirements of the sector.
National Occupational Standards (NOS) are statements of the scope of competence that individuals must achieve when carrying out functions in the workplace, together with specifications of the underpinning knowledge and understanding.
NOS are developed for employers by employers through the relevant Standards Setting Organisation. Skills Development Scotland has appointed Building Services Engineering Skills, to carry out a periodic review of the National Occupational Standards, with SNIPEF working on their behalf to consult on behalf of the plumbing and heating sector.
Graeme Dryden, APHC’s Technical Services Manager, commented: “We are inviting employers to attend a free breakfast workshop where they can review the current NOS and advise whether they consider these still to be fit for purpose or whether any improvements are needed.
“Attendees will also have the opportunity to get involved in a Bitesize Tech Talk where we have three topical areas of discussion, plus there will be an open forum where attendees can bring forward other technical topics for discussion.”
The Bitesize Tech Talk Topics include:
- Fluctuating gas pressures on the incoming supply and the effects on appliance sizing, safety and commissioning
- Use of double check valves and the catastrophic component failure and effects of pressure increases in hot and cold water services pipework
- Safe isolation of electrical supplies and what training currently exists followed by an open discussion forum on current technical challenges faced by industry.
APHC are hosting two breakfast workshops on 29 January 2019 in Leeds at Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa, 1150 Century Way, Thorpe Park, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS15 8ZB; and on 30 January 2019 in North Wales at The Oriel Hotel, Upper Denbigh Road, St. Asaph, Denbighshire, LL17 0LW.
Both workshops will commence at 8.00am with a complimentary breakfast and will run to the following itinerary:
- 8.00 Guests Arrive, Breakfast Served
- 8.30 Introduction
- 08.45 Presentation 1 – National Occupational Standards
- 10.00 Break, Tea & Coffee
- 10.15 Presentation 2 – Bitesize Tech Talk
- 11.15 Close
For further information or to book a place, contact APHC on email@example.com / 0121 711 5030.