APHC highlights importance of keeping certificates

APHC highlights importance of keeping certificates

The Association of Plumbing & Heating Contractors (APHC) is reminding plumbing and heating engineers about the value in retaining their plumbing and heating qualification certificates.

Whilst APHC acknowledges that experience is important and that a large proportion of plumbing and heating engineers may have qualified 20 or 30 plus years ago, it points out that having proof of their City & Guilds Craft Certificate or NVQ Level 2 equivalent demonstrates that their experience has been gained after achieving an industry proven standard of practical and theoretical training.

John Thompson, APHC’s CEO, commented: “There are many instances throughout a long-term career in the plumbing and heating industry where you will need to produce qualification certificates. Applications to be on an approved supplier list and work tenders generally need to be accompanied by qualification certificates, especially if you are tendering for work or applying to be on an approved supplier list from a Local Authority. Joining a competent person scheme to allow you to self-certify work is compliant with relevant building regulations, joining a trade association and other bodies like Gas Safe all require proof of qualifications.

“Should there be a situation where there is a complaint or where a fault may occur in your work, being able to produce your qualification certificates can help demonstrate that you are competent and qualified to have carried out the work in the first place. If you ever have to make a claim on your public liability policy, you may find that the insurance company will require proof of your qualifications before settling.”

Graeme Dryden, APHC’s Technical Services Manager, also pointed out: “The plumbing and heating industry is undergoing fast development and so it is important that plumbing and heating engineers not only stay up-to-date with new technological advancements but that they also then keep all certificates attained for attending a training course as proof of their knowledge.”

If you have misplaced your NVQ or equivalent qualification certificate you can normally request a new certificate from the awarding body. If you are unsure of who the awarding body was, you should contact the college or training provider where you obtained the qualification.

Awarding bodies such as City & Guilds, Bpec and EAL Certification will normally charge an administration fee of around £25 to £45 per certificate with the application process taking between two to four weeks. Information that you may need to supply can include the date the qualification was achieved, qualification title, centre name and centre number, your national insurance number, enrolment number and address at the time of achieving the qualification. You will also be required to provide proof of identity such as your birth certificate, driving license and passport.

Related posts