New research from Which? Trusted Traders reveals the difficulty that many have in finding and hiring tradespeople.
A recent study of more than a thousand people found that one in four (25%) had difficulty finding a roofer. Builders (22%) and bathroom fitters (20%) came in closely behind, with many reporting that it was difficult to find one when needed.
In contrast, mechanics were the easiest tradespeople to find, with almost all of those surveyed who needed to hire a mechanic (97%) explaining that it was easy to do so. Heating engineers (93%) and electricians (88%) were also among the easiest traders to find.
Tips from Which? to find the right tradesperson to consumers include:
- Asking neighbours for recommendations as you are likely to have a similar style of property. You could also use a local social media group to ask for a suggestion
- Reading reviews before making a hire
- Finding out if the trader you are interested in is a member of the relevant trade body
- Getting quotes from at least three different tradespeople for the same job to make sure you are getting value for money
- Searching Which? Trusted Tradersfor a reputable tradesperson in your area. All traders on the scheme have been vetted by trading standards qualified assessors
Raj Kakar-Clayton, Managing Director of Which? Trusted Traders, said: “Consumers shouldn’t have to struggle when trying to track down a local, reliable tradesperson. When looking to hire a trader, work with someone who has an excellent reputation and who has been vetted by an independent endorsement scheme.”