The aim of Gas Safe Register’s recent brand awareness campaign was to raise awareness among families to not cut corners when it comes to their gas appliances, and only using a Gas Safe registered engineer.
As part of the campaign, registered engineers were encouraged to share photos of examples of gas work where they felt corners had been cut. To date over 100 photos have been shared and below are the top five images that highlight the dangers of cutting corners when it comes to gas safety.
1: A Gas Safe registered engineer found a homemade flue extension and toilet isolation valve used on a gas hob.
2: A Gas Safe registered engineer found a flue extension connected to an old rusted WD40 can.
3: A Gas Safe registered engineer discovered a customer trying to install their own gas cooker, very dangerously.
4: The Gas Safe registered engineer had to shut this fire off as it was leaking products of combustion risking exposure to carbon monoxide.
5: And finally, a Gas Safe registered engineer found an open flue spilling products of combustion.
Further brand awareness activity
The campaign went live across various media channels, which included digital marketing, advertising billboards and radio adverts on selected stations such as
Absolute Radio and Smooth Radio. The national campaign also focused on specific cities most at risk from unsafe gas appliances as identified by Gas Safe Register’s Investigation’s Team.
Household decision makers were targeted to educate those making the decisions about appliance maintenance and the importance of their gas appliances working safely and efficiently by only using an engineer who is on the Gas Safe Register. These decision makers were targeted through partnerships with Netmums, Your Home and HomeStyle.
Netmums, a parenting website, hosted a coffeehouse thread for parents to share their stories of cutting corners with gas.
Both HomeStyle and Your Home magazines hosted articles about the campaign, which focused on first time buyers and those already on the property ladder ensuring their gas engineer is on the Gas Safe Register. Both magazines found that their readerships became more aware of Gas Safe Register and its role following the partnership content going live across their websites, a social media competition and e-shot emails to their subscribers.
Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive, said: “Ensuring gas appliances are working safely and efficiently should be a top priority for families and it is important that they are aware of the dangers of cutting corners and not using a Gas Safe registered engineer.
“The brand awareness campaign was a huge success. It was great to see so many registered engineers engaging with the campaign and sending through their examples of unsafe gas work as they play a vital role in helping us inform the public on the importance of gas safety.
To view the ‘Don’t Cut Corners’ short video on YouTube, click here.